Click to Home


Go To Search

History
Equipment
The Lindsay Fire Department was established in 1908 as a volunteer department and run under Fire Chief Henry Hargis. The firefighting equipment back then was two hand drawn hose carts, one at each end of town. In 1921, the department joined the Oklahoma State Firefighters Association. In 1925, the city acquired it's first fire engine from the government. And in 1939, the city purchased a new Ford 500 gallon per minute pumper that is still in the department's possession today. This unit was housed in a shed on Main Street until the fire station was built in 1940. At this time the city hired one full time firefighter that stayed at the station 24 hours a day. In 1948, the city hired five full time firefighters and purchased a used American LaFrance fire truck. In 1972, the city purchased a building / lumber yard on West Creek and converted it into a fire station, where the station remained until 2001. The city, with a federal grant, then built the emergency services building directly across the street in 2001, which houses both the Fire Department and the Ambulance Service.